Let's speak english ...

Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Nächstes Thema anzeigen Nach unten

Let's speak english ...

Beitrag  Anjana am So Dez 14, 2014 4:08 am

Hello everybody,

As a result of the chat yesterday I'm starting this thread.

It's supposed to be a normal chatthreat. The only specialty is the language.
Maybe this could be a little area to raise the vocabulary, the grammar and the writing.

Because this is meant as e training area, I want to ask if you want to correct little mistakes or not.

My Grammar isn't that certain, the same with the writing especially the question about big letters, or the punctuation.

So, no more wore words from me, let's just talk!

greets
Ani
Anjana
Tintenklecksmagier
Tintenklecksmagier

Anzahl der Beiträge : 3549

http://www.schreibwerkstatt.de/profil/cass/

Nach oben Nach unten

Re: Let's speak english ...

Beitrag  Leahdyre am So Dez 14, 2014 5:36 am

Hi Ani,

first of all I want to correct some things that sound really strange in my ear.
 "As a result of yesterday's chat [...]" is way better than "result of chat yesterday" Wink
I'm not sure if the sentence "My grammar isn't that certain, [...]" is correct, it sounds weird in my head. Why is your grammar so insecure, does it need some boosting of its ego?  Smile I would prefer something like "I'm not that secure/good/whatever in grammar." 
What I'm really sure about is that "the same" is totally wrong here. Write something like "as well as", "all the same", "equally", "alike",... we have a bunch of possibilities here.
Basically: In english sentences there are a lot less commas than in german. Feels strange to write without aaaall the good, little, peaceful commas....  Crying or Very sad
Please do not take these adjustments the wrong way Wink

For me, producing english texts is like wandering in a swamp. I have to look very close on my sentences and words, go on step by step and if dict.cc would not excist i would die instantly  Smile So the grammar is not the thing for me. But how to build reasonable sentences with varied words? That is basically my problem... Though I love writing and reading english texts! In my opinion, english texts sound much better than german ones.

Last but not least: Sorry, I still don't know how to use multiple quotes in a text. That is so embarrising!

Leahdyre
Tintenfässchen
Tintenfässchen

Anzahl der Beiträge : 59

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Tachadenn am So Dez 14, 2014 6:00 am

affraid Anjana

I'll speak english only if it's necessary

I hate, if german professors teach german students in english. It's boring to hear such a Gestammel Suspect

Kenavo
Tachadenn
Tachadenn
Wortzaubermeister
Wortzaubermeister

Anzahl der Beiträge : 814

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  summergirl am So Dez 14, 2014 6:19 am

Hey, Tachadenn!

I love your english, really. thanks
It's boring to hear such a Gestammel

With 14 years I spent 4 weeks in Cornwall. Afterwards 'Austrian English' was pure pain.

But unfortunately it's so long ago and my english is better in reading than in writing oder speaking. With my older daugther I have to learn hearing texts for her Matura (I don't think there is a suitable word in english).
We look films, sometimes with german undertitels. For the beginning. Embarassed

So this thread is a real great idea!

Thank's Ani!

Have a good evening! Birgit
summergirl
Wortmagier
Wortmagier

Anzahl der Beiträge : 1304

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Anjana am So Dez 14, 2014 8:28 am

@Leah: Don't worry about the corrections. It's about 10 Years ago that I had to speak more than a few sentences.
But funny is, in the last books I red were some sentences like mine in the first post. Maybe it's a kind of American "street language"? I can't tell how many times I thought "this can't be correct grammar". (I don't have the english "", so please don't mind)

Really difficult is finding the right meaning if you're not sure about the right nuances. "as well as" was what I've been looking for but it wasn't listed and I couldn't remember. *grr* Wink

But right now it's too late for any more english writing ...

Zuletzt von Anjana am So Dez 14, 2014 8:46 am bearbeitet; insgesamt 2-mal bearbeitet (Grund : punctuation)
Anjana
Tintenklecksmagier
Tintenklecksmagier

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Leahdyre am So Dez 14, 2014 8:34 am

Your sentences sometimes sound like german sentences translated one-on-one into english  Smile But don't worry, my english improved this semester so much and the only thing I did is speaking (and writing). So, I think this thread is a good way to improve our knowledge.

Zuletzt von Leahdyre am So Dez 14, 2014 8:45 am bearbeitet; insgesamt 1-mal bearbeitet

Leahdyre
Tintenfässchen
Tintenfässchen

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Anjana am So Dez 14, 2014 8:37 am

Your sentences sometimes sound like german sentences translated one-on-one into english 

Yes, and that is exactly how I red it. Wink
Anjana
Tintenklecksmagier
Tintenklecksmagier

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Mina Solena am So Dez 14, 2014 11:08 pm

I'll take part in this chat.

I desperately have to polish my knowledge of English... 

Years ago I had many pen-pals all over the world. I often wrote in English and I managed it easy. Now I find it a little bit difficult because I miss many vocabulary. So I think it's good training.

Mina Solena
Schreibfeder
Schreibfeder

Anzahl der Beiträge : 114

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Leahdyre am So Dez 14, 2014 11:09 pm

So, what topic should we choose? What do we want to talk about?

Leahdyre
Tintenfässchen
Tintenfässchen

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Anjana am Mo Dez 15, 2014 2:25 am

Hello again,

I really should not write with headache! I just wanted to say one last thing: even if there are sentences in my books, which sound like one-to-one-translations, your sentences are much better, than this. So please continue to correct my Grammar, Leah.
Maybe, I also should read more british books than american. Wink

Today I left my working place because of headache. I really hate it!
At the moment I'm lying in my bed, but unfortunatly I can't sleep ... :( So, I will spend some time with reading and probably even with answering some Threads.

About the topic: What about "let's just have look what comes"?
Anjana
Tintenklecksmagier
Tintenklecksmagier

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Leahdyre am Mo Dez 15, 2014 2:44 am

Thanks, Ani.
There is no comma bevor "than this"... ^^;
"Mal sehen was kommt" is something like "We'll see what happens" afaik.

I still don't know how to use multiple quotes. This really annoyes me. I tried different ways and nothing worked like I want it to! Without this function correcting is like a mess.  Evil or Very Mad HELP!

Leahdyre
Tintenfässchen
Tintenfässchen

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Anjana am Mo Dez 15, 2014 2:52 am

Thanks!! I guess the commas are often typing habits (Can I say it this way?)

and I dont realize them. *grrml*

The multiple quote is actually quite easy. Click the button of all the posts you wanna quote and than just click "post reply". Then you get every post as a seperat quotation(?).
Anjana
Tintenklecksmagier
Tintenklecksmagier

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Leahdyre am Mo Dez 15, 2014 3:01 am

Anjana schrieb:Thanks!! I guess the commas are often typing habits (Can I say it this way?)

The multiple quote is actually quite easy. Click the button of all the posts you wanna quote and than just click "post reply". Then you get every post as a seperat quotation(?).
Okay, I think you misunderstood my Problem. If I click "quote" this Box ---^ appears. For example, I want to tell you that typing habits are correct if we think of feeding habit (the only phrase I can imagine of right now where habit is used in this context). I want this sentence to be shown below your phrase, but without the quotationmarks of the quote.
And I misunderstood multiple quote. I thought multiple quote is for having multiple quotes of one text.  bounce
Quotation is right, but you can simply say quote or citation - means the same thing. My lecturer often says "cit" as well.

Leahdyre
Tintenfässchen
Tintenfässchen

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Leahdyre am Mo Dez 15, 2014 3:10 am

Anjana schrieb:Thanks!! I guess the commas are often typing habits (Can I say it this way?)

You see, I can type here but it is shown like a part of your text which it is not!

Leahdyre
Tintenfässchen
Tintenfässchen

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Leahdyre am Mo Dez 15, 2014 3:12 am

It works this way but it is quite complicated.

Leahdyre
Tintenfässchen
Tintenfässchen

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Anjana am Do Dez 18, 2014 2:56 am

I'm wastin' my time with reading, writing und drinking tea, instead of cleaning my flat. It really is no kind of "carpe diem". Okay, well sorry, today my vocabulary first had got (?) some kind of overload an than just crashed ... And I'm too lazy to open some dictionary.

But after this Post, I'll take a shower (I was riding in the morning am I'm still wearing the clothes) und after that, wash the dishes (is that right for washing the dirty things you eat with?) an start to tidy up.
After I finished all these things, I'm looking forward to do what ever I want to right than.  

Zuletzt von Anjana am Do Dez 18, 2014 3:12 am bearbeitet; insgesamt 1-mal bearbeitet
Anjana
Tintenklecksmagier
Tintenklecksmagier

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Herzeloyde am Do Dez 18, 2014 3:12 am

I'm wastin' my time with reading, writing und drinking tea
Yeah. But with all this rain ... At least I revised Chapter 3 - once again. 

After I finished all these things, I'm looking forward to do what ever I want to right then.

Sounds good  Smile
Herzeloyde
Tintenklecksmagier
Tintenklecksmagier

Anzahl der Beiträge : 3385

Nach oben Nach unten

Beitrag  Gesponserte Inhalte

Gesponserte Inhalte

Nach oben Nach unten

Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Nächstes Thema anzeigen Nach oben

Befugnisse in diesem Forum